Transforming from a Portfolio of Companies to a Portfolio of Brands
Company leadership sought to shift from operating like a portfolio of companies to performing like a portfolio of brands. The company wanted to improve profitability and drive top-line growth, while reducing or better controlling operational costs.
The company was challenged by its siloed operating structure and multiple sales and marketing teams that, in some cases, were calling on the same customers for multiple products. This impacted customer satisfaction and prevented the organization from achieving a complete, integrated view of its customers.
Symmetrics Group Approach
Symmetrics Group worked to address the client’s most critical go-to-market issues and paved the way for a consolidated, streamlined sales and marketing organization. Our approach included the following key efforts:
- Analyzed the client’s 7,000 customers to understand cross-sell potential throughout the brands.
- Examined time spent servicing and selling to customers to develop a profile for customers that did or did not warrant the cost of direct servicing from a field-based sales team member.
- Revised sales territories to minimize the cost of travel and overnight stays.
- Aligned the client’s existing team to the revised territories and facilitated the development of a business case and communication to ensure executive support of the integrated sales organization.
- Trained the new sales team on the full portfolio of products to ensure the greatest chance of success.
This project drove a positive bottom line impact and more efficient utilization of the client’s sales team members. The average number of sales team overnight stays was reduced 46%, reducing the cost of sales and keeping employees on the road less. Overall, the client realized a bottom line impact of $1.9m in savings from consolidating the sales team. Because customers now have a singular point of contact who can cover the entire product line, redundant outreach has been reduced and customer satisfaction has increased.
I go on sales calls and hear people using language that is far more strategic… We won vendor of the year at Home Depot… We have gotten access to higher levels of the organization at strategic accounts… The biggest thing that stands out for me is Symmetrics Group’s willingness to get in the trenches with the troops and stay there through implementation.
– Customer Marketing Manager
The Multigenerational Sales Team
More effectively leverage talent across generations who think, sell, and buy in vastly different ways and overcome generational obstacles to drive improvements in both individual and organizational performance.