Establishing a Culture of Sales Performance and Accountability
In recent years, the company had implemented a number of initiatives designed to drive greater accountability and performance across their worldwide sales force. Despite making some progress, the company faced increasing pressure to address issues with individual and collective underperformance. To that end, they asked Symmetrics Group to recommend solutions focused on:
- Growing business through increased productivity of the client facing team
- Creating a comprehensive sales management program and discipline covering process, roles, tools, and metrics
- Deepening and expanding client relationships at the top Developing talent for the sales force of the future
Symmetrics Group Approach
We conducted an in-depth discovery process, which included an extensive review of data and dozens of interviews with stakeholders from the US, Europe and Asia, to determine the underlying challenges that were hindering performance. Key findings included:
- Lack of clarity around client ownership within the organization and diffused accountability for client results
- Culture of reluctance to share information and collaborate among the sales team
- High variance in capabilities around positioning, pitching, negotiations, and business acumen
With this business context, we worked with senior client leaders to design a client-facing organization structure that would enable a culture of performance and accountability. This included:
- Role design, an assessment of the capabilities needed to implement the new structure (e.g., optimal number of business getters, skill development and training needs), and customized leading and lagging indicators for future scorecard development
- Initial recommendations for tactical sales process management and rules of engagement
- An implementation roadmap and initial change management strategy to guide the timing and sequencing of the organization structure roll out over the next 12-18 months.
- Partnership with Bunnell Idea Group, who customized its GrowBIG program in order to institutionalize the new behaviors and sales capabilities required for sustained success
The organizational assessment, recommendations, and roadmap served as valuable resources to help new leadership quickly get up to speed and determine next steps once they were in place.
The Multigenerational Sales Team
More effectively leverage talent across generations who think, sell, and buy in vastly different ways and overcome generational obstacles to drive improvements in both individual and organizational performance.