Our client produced exceptionally cutting-edge, complex products and services in the broadband and telecom space. It needed to break its habit of selling with the highly technical features of their offerings. Symmetrics Group helped move their sales teams to a customer-focused, insight-driven sales approach.
Our client created industry-leading testing and measuring technologies that were integrated into multiple broadband providers’ processes and equipment. The client’s solutions optimized the programs that were critical to installing and running broadband networks more seamlessly. The complexity of the clients’ offerings often caused the sales teams to lead with their products’ cutting-edge features. The client wanted to move to an insight-based sales approach, in which teams identified new problems facing their customers and offered their products as the natural solution. The client engaged Symmetrics Group to create a custom Insights-Driven Sales Program to differentiate the sales teams’ approach.
Symmetrics Group Approach
- Go-to-Market Strategy: Symmetrics Group started by facilitating a custom insights-based workshop with key players from sales, sales operations, marketing and other divisions to define selling differentiators to drive larger sales opportunities.
- Sales Tools: We used the workshop output to develop two insights-based selling tools (Conversation Prompters), aligned with key product initiatives, for the global sales team to use in expanding the sales conversation. We collaborated with corporate and product marketing teams to develop the insights and supporting proof points. Two complementary insights positioning tools (Insights Planning Tool & Win Plan Capture tool) supported the application of the insights-based selling approach.
- Sales Skills: To socialize the insights-based selling approach, Symmetrics Group trained 400+ global sellers in insight selling, including utilization and application of “Big I” insights, at their annual retreat. We applied the principles of Thinking Preferences to enable sellers to more readily position key messages to decision makers and more senior executives.
- Change Management: To drive awareness and adoption, we designed and launched tailored reinforcement efforts including:
• Regionally-based webinars that supported cross-product sales teams as well as those who sold a specific product suite (Network Assurance)
• Executive communications, including emails and talking points to cascade the initiatives from division president to regional VPs
After only 1/3 of the sessions, 50% of the incremental sales funnel goal was achieved. Symmetrics Group and the account teams identified multiple new multi-million dollar sales opportunities (some $10M+) and created the high-level sales plans necessary for the teams to win them. The sessions also helped identify a few troubled accounts in immediate need of management attention.